Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Hand Prints

I'd like to start off by saying how heavy my heart is for what happened in Boston yesterday. I grew up just outside of Boston in a small town called North Andover. My parents, younger brother, Grandmother and Aunts and Uncles still live there. I called my parents and brother as soon as I heard the news yesterday, so thankful that I found them at home and well.  But my heart aches for those people who have been struck by this senseless tragedy.  My husband is a runner and I cannot imagine kissing him goodbye and good luck on his run and have the run met with tragedy.  So the event, though I'm thousands of miles away, hits close to home, too close to home in so many ways.  Because of this event, I decided it was most respectful to post very little yesterday.  I stayed glued to my live feed of Boston news channel:
www.wcvb.com


However, that doesn't mean I didn't work. I had Little Mr. F attached at my hip for the afternoon after he snuggled with Daddy who has been working the very late night shift. I have to say, I know so many people have spouses who work the midnight shift and I feel for you. It's tough! It's just not normal to sleep during the day, if you can even sleep with 3 kids running around, and then having to work while the rest of the country sleeps.  Anyway, I hope this schedule works itself out, most importantly so my hubs can get some much needed rest.

So, back to what I did. I love repeat customers and my next creative project was for a repeat customer.  A while back, my youngest daughters 1st grade teacher was expecting and I wanted to do something sentimental and unique for her. As I wrapped my head around what I could possibly do that would be special and keepsake, I thought about my hand print pillows. But, being that there were 18 children in the class, I thought that would have to be a VERY big pillow but why not a blanket?  My idea of the hand-print blanket was formed. I am sure this idea exists out there, but just in case it's not, I thought it would be fun to share my idea for other crafty parents looking for a unique gift idea.  And if you aren't one of those crafty parents and just want to order a custom blanket, you can find me on Etsy

One of the things that I love, that I finally figured out, are the bindings that I make for my quilts. Sure, it is easier to buy binding from the store but that satin binding or not so whimsical cotton binding just isn't my thing. I like to take the fabric scraps of the blanket I've made and create my own. I think it's a nice little twist, brings everything together and can be whimsical.  To make the binding, I cut a bunch of 4" strips, I press the edges in, then fold again in half and attach to the blanket.  I love it.

Next up, I think, are some more wedding inspired ideas.  Did I mention I'm excited about my younger brother getting married in September?  :)

Until next time creative friends,


                                           ♡ ąℓexąnʠяą










No comments:

Post a Comment