Monday, February 18, 2013

Time Warp, 10,000 hours


  It takes 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to become an expert.

So I'd like to start off by saying I am working toward that goal with everything I do. It's fun to go back a few years to see how far that practice has already taken me. I have many many more hours to go before I can officially be called an expert in any of the creative ventures I take on and I'll probably add more to the list of things I want to attain expertise in. 

Lucky for me, I have a wonderfully supportive and encouraging husband who is my sounding block, my honest critic, and my biggest supporter. Sometimes he looks at me with a raised eye brow when I tell him of a new adventure I want to try, other times he is the one buying the supplies I need for a new adventure. 

Here is a look back (well, as far as I have documented pictures) at how my little slice of creative heaven has unfolded:

JEWELRY
knotting techniques

circa 2009
circa 2009/2010
February 2013
February 2013  




JEWELRY
beading techniques 
Sept. 2011
Sept. 2011
August 2012
February 2013



SEWING

My mother in law taught me to sew in high school and since then I've been practicing on and off, learning by trial and error and done lots of reading of sewing books and blogs. I never did understand the professional art of finishing a job until a couple of years ago and I'm happy to say, my finished products have come a long way. I think I would cringe if I ever saw one of my earlier works on anyone but my girls (who still do not know the difference, they just like the pretty colors)
Circa 2009
circa 2009


Handles were pretty horrendous too, glad I figured those out!




February 2013
November 2012
February 2013
Clothing design has always been a dream of mine and it still is. Maybe when I grow up I'll finally fulfill that dream but until then, I'll keep practicing!

2009                    

circa 2009








clothing didn't fit properly, either too tight or too boxy













Aprons now have better form, soft ruffles instead of the pinched pleats I would do by hand as each piece made it's way below the needle. Proper hardware for better fits.
















Fun twirl-ies and feminine ruffles!









PHOTOGRAPHY

A friend of mine let me follow her around to try photographing my girls, but my pictures were dark and in major need of editing but at the time I felt so proud and excited about the photo shoot. Funny how you can look back and wonder "What was I thinking?!"


October 2009










Dark and gloomy despite the beautiful girls and vivid colors around!


and now:
February 2013


What it boils down to is that I have come quite a ways in the past few years but I still have a LONG LONG way to go. Practice will hopefully make perfect some day but I'll enjoy the practice, the process and the discovery that I'll experience on my way to it! Don't give up, don't let others talk you down from doing something you are passionate about but find your own way too.  Be unique, it's what makes the creative discovery fun and enlightening. Be inspired but never copy because you might be copying others mistakes and you certainly wont be finding your own way.

So until next time, have a creative blessed day!

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment