Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Unexpected Path


Have you ever gotten in your car to go somewhere, hit a ton of traffic that has come to a stand still, been taken in a different direction and just discovered something so cool? 

I know this has happened to me several times. Today, it happened again. Of course, as I'm making my way down the mountain on the Pali Highway, traffic comes to a complete stop, and all lanes are merging into the break down lane, big clouds of smoke in the sky ahead, a frantic firetruck blaring it's sirens, lights flashing as it tries to maneuver through all the traffic to make it on time where it is needed most. First thought, "OMG, I'm so glad I didn't leave the house any ealier." Second thought, "Someone is in a lot of pain or worse right now, so near by."  Third thought, "Where on Earth is this new, unexplored road going to lead me now?"

Turns out, a car was on fire further down the highway. Both directions were closed down and we were being re-directed to a small road down the mountain.  And what a ride it was.  My little guy and I traveled in silence, turned off the music, put the windows down and just observed this amazing surroundings that we suddenly found ourselves in unexpectedly.  The road was completely covered overhead with lushes, tropical tree's, vines hanging down, huge leaves sweeping in the wind of the new found traffic.  You could smell fresh air, not the exhaust that you normally smell from the cars on the highway.  When traffic slowed, you could hear what sounded like a distant waterfall and birds singing love songs to each other. What an unexpected but most welcome road of exploration. 

I hope to do more of that once my husband is home with us. We found our way on unexpected paths quite often while we were stationed in Japan and today made me smile thinking of those days.  Like the time the highway we were traveling on came to an abrupt end and we were faced with turning around and traveling back 1 hr or trying to figure out our way on a road that was wide enough to fit one car with a 10 ft drop on the other side leading to a rustling stream.  We found our way on that little road, I even got to practice my very limited knowledge of Japanese with a little old man who didn't not understand a word of English (rightfully so) outside tending to his land.  It was exhilarating to discover something new to us and find our way home.

I can say that I do feel blessed to have an opportunity to feel this way every couple of years. Though this is our 10th move in our almost 14 years of marriage, it never gets old.  The packing, moving, finding a new home, new school, yes...that gets old.  But exploring, adventuring, and being exposed to new ways of life, new cultures, well that is pretty exciting.

I hope you get a chance to explore an unexpected path, to make you appreciate your senses, take in unexpected beauty, slow down from the hustle and bustle of every day life and routines.

Until next time,

♡ ąℓexąnʠяą


No comments:

Post a Comment